Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Let me introduce myself.......

I don't believe that I am the most knowledgeable person in the world on skin care. However, somehow during college my path lead me to the industries of beauty. For over four years I worked at Toni and Guy hair salon, and within a month I was hooked on everything relative to beauty maintenance. Working at the salon, I encountered some of the most unique people in the beauty industry. Everyone knew how to perfectly apply their makeup, and everyone had a fashion magazine worthy style. It was their job to keep up with all the latest trends. I don't believe every person I worked with possessed pure vanity. I believe most makeup and hair stylist are in many ways an artist. I don't believe anyone can be artistically creative with hair and makeup, and originate unique styles. Coming into the salon after hours of college classes, I felt a release. I began to pay more attention to all aspects of beauty maintenance.
Within the four years of working at the salon, I would sit in the break room and listen to everyone tell each other the best products to use. At the time my hair was immaculate, but I lacked the knowledge in skin care. My dear friend April Miles has vibrant skin texture and tone. I was a little unlucky in the skin department. My skin reacted to everything, and especially stress. I had what would be labeled as, "teen acne." At times my skin would be crystal clear, but when a blemish erupted, it was horrific. Back to April... she was constantly learning about professional skin care products, and most importantly the prevention of damaged skin. We lived in Tucson, Arizona and I was never mildly cautious about sun damage. She and I would come to each other with our latest finds of the best sunscreen. She also was seeing a Dermatologist named Jody Comstock. That's when I was introduced the the Obagi skin care line.
I suppose when Obagi had it's moments of glory, it seemed like the best. I remember calling my mother in Santa Fe and listening to her tell me about the new Obagi skin regimen she was on. Her main focus was lightening the hyperpigmentation of her skin caused by sun damage. I was intrigued. I immediately became obsessed with the product, because of it's popularity, and never focused on what my skin truly needed.
Within months I still had cystic breakouts, and turned my focus to skin care, and finding the right product. I truly believe that with my situation a dermatologist's advice is most beneficial. However, at the time I was very easily convinced to try the latest products, and I never stuck to a regimen longer than a month. It wasn't until my twenties that I began to truly focus on what's beneficial for the long run.
This blog is for me to write about my opinion of certain skin care lines, as well as most products we apply to our skin daily. I don't claim to be a certified esthetician or dermatologist. However, over the past three years I have had training and experience within the skin care industry. I graduated with a BA in journalism, and I find myself always wanting to write about this wide-ranged topic. I'm not just speaking of what's the best eye shadow. I'm also interested in the education and health behind the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment